Christina Martin's Pickled Fish
- 1.5kg hake fillets or line fish
- Oil for deep frying
- 500ml water
- 187ml sugar
- 500ml brown grape vinegar
- 4 large onions sliced
- 12ml sultanas
- 3 bay leaves
- 30ml medium masala
- 5ml pepper corns
- 30ml corn flour
- 3 lemon leaves
- Cut the fish in to good serving size portions, remove any bones and skin.
- Dry the fish well and deep-fry in the hot oil for 2 minutes.
- Bring the water, sugar and vinegar to the boil.
- Add more sugar if the vinegar is too sour.
- Add the onions, sultanas, bay leaves, masala and salt and peppercorns.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Thicken with corn flour slaked in a little cold water.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon leaves, pour over the fish.
- Allow fish to cool, then store in a sterilised glass jar, and store in the fridge. Fish will last up to 3 weeks.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.