Christina Martin's Quick Puff Pastry
- 1kg cake flour
- 15ml salt
- 1kg unsalted butter
- 500ml iced water
- Sift the flour onto a clean work surface and make a well in the centre, have the butter out of the fridge for 15 minutes and cut into small dice.
- Put the butter together with the salt into the well in the centre of the flour.
- With your fingers, quickly work the ingredients together, gradually working the flour with your left hand.
- When the butter becomes very small and half squashed and grainy, pour in the iced water and incorporate it into the pastry.
- Do not knead it and stop working it as soon as the pastry comes together but still contains flakes of butter.
- Lightly flour a pre-chilled area and roll out the pastry into a 40x 20cm rectangle.
- Fold into thirds and turn this to the right (if you were looking at this as a book) so the spine is on the left side.
- Roll out again and then re-fold into thirds.
- Wrap and chill in the fridge for 20 min.
- Roll into desired shape and rest for a further 20min before baking at 220ᵒC.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.